Can we just enjoy the fecking moment?

29 Oct

Last night, driving home, there was a house lit up in Christmas lights.

Christmas. Lights.

It’s still October people. And we have two holidays between today and Christmas.

On Facebook, I’m seeing all these countdowns, usually with Will Farrell’s Elf dude in the meme about how it’s only so many weekends until Christmas!!!! (extra exclamation points required by law.) X amount of weekends people!!! GET INTO THE FECKING HOLIDAY MOOD NOW!!!!

nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, slacker me still has a pumpkin to carve, because I’m not ready for the legit holiday coming up. Though now, I want to throw said uncarved pumpkin at people.

Why?

Because all of this is crazy making and ruining the fucking holidays for most of us. The Christmas season has gotten too long – and I’m Catholic. I enjoy a good Advent. And because the Christmas season is now starting in freaking October, by December 26th, all the people who are playing Christmas tunes in October and decorating November 1st are soooooo over Christmas and start posting pictures of super cleaned up houses with no trace of holiday left and bragging about the clean fresh space and unclutteredness while the rest of us are still possibly celebrating the Christmas season with another family party or, if you’re Italian, an Epiphany Dinner on January 6th. By January 15th, the early holidayers are now judging me because my lights are still up while complaining how dreary January is.

And I’m officially over it.

I’m over the holiday frenzy that’s supposed to last for three months. I’m over Christmas taking precedence over everything else that happens between September 15th and December 1st. I’m tired of being judged for having my lights still up two weeks after Christmas when you’ve had yours up for three months before the holiday. I don’t want to hear Christmas music in October, but there it is on the radio. I know. I heard it, then looked for a cliff to drive my car off of because OMG make it stop!

I’m not a Scrooge. I actually love Christmas. I love the season. But I also love Halloween, and autumn that’s supposed to stretch through November, and getting handprint turkeys from the kids, and watching my husband cook a turkey on Thanksgiving, and celebrating the little holidays like St. Nicholas Day and the Epiphany. I actually like shopping in December to find a last minute gift, and don’t want to have that all done so I can then do fifteen different Pinterest-inspired “New Traditions!”. I’m over New Traditions! I’d like to keep my old ones, thank you. And that Elf on the Friggen Shelf can just stay on the Target shelf.

Tell you what? I’ll try to turn a blind eye to your Christmas tree up on November 1st if you ignore the fact that mine is still up January 15th, m’kay?

Meanwhile, I have to get working on our family tradition of “Oh crap, it’s October 29th and a kid needs a costume.” followed by “Geez, maybe I should carve the friggen pumpkin already.” tradition on October 30th.

Peace.

14 Responses to “Can we just enjoy the fecking moment?”

1. murals2go October 29, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

Preach it, sister! I’m Anglican and don’t want to rush through the seasons either.

2. Nicole October 29, 2016 at 3:18 pm #

Yes. All of this. I get flak for my “ridiculous” Christmas celebration — the tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving and comes down the weekend after Little Christmas. But until Thanksgiving, I don’t want to hear Christmas music or see decorations because I LIKE fall. I like Thanksgiving and Halloween. I feel like I am rushed through them to get to Giftmas, and I am sick of it. High fives to you. Hope your last-minute Halloween shopping is successful.

3. Christine Phelan October 29, 2016 at 4:17 pm #

I’m with you sista! December 15 – January 15 is enough Christmas for me…… And it’s my frickin birthday. HoHoHo…. 😘

Sent from my iPad

4. franhunne4u October 29, 2016 at 4:27 pm #

I love to start thinking about Christmas during sometime late November, when I pack the Christmas pressies for my cousin – and make her her effing Goth advent calendar .. This year it will be bats, just if you wonder what makes a goth calender goth ..

We do not do Halloween over here, or celebrate Thanksgiving. But I am very content if I do not have to listen to Christmas songs before advent starts. that is still 4 frigging weeks of Last Christmas (and I am usually saturated by the time they play it for the first time).

My Christmas tree gets bought in the week before Christmas, sometimes on the 23rd, and then will be decorated on Christmas Eve – as is traditional. But we do our annual Christmas cookie baking by the End of November. And that is ok, too.

• Phoebe October 29, 2016 at 5:10 pm #

I loaaaaaaaathe “Last Christmas”

• franhunne4u October 29, 2016 at 11:33 pm #

Some people request it in June, just to annoy us 😦

5. Darcy Pennington Arnold October 29, 2016 at 4:58 pm #

AMEN, Phoebe!! Went yesterday to pick up a birthday card at our local drug store and they had all the Christmas cards out. Come on; my personal favorite holiday is Thanksgiving! At least give me that first.

6. Mad October 29, 2016 at 5:08 pm #

Ha! We keep or tree and lights up into January as well. Our priest always tells us keep celebrating until the Sunday after the Epiphany. I agree with you. why do
    I bother you with my lights into mid January when you have Christmas in September. SMH!

7. Marianne Artymko October 29, 2016 at 5:28 pm #

HI. Just let me say I live in Alberta. It is so dark over the winter that I tend to suffer SAD and so I put up “Seasonal Lights.” They go up the second week of October and usually stay up until March. So. It’s not always about Christmas 🙂

• Phoebe October 29, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

Yeah, you get a pass. Honestly, I’ll decorate with white lights so if I leave them out too long, they’re just “seasonal” lol!

8. CF6 October 29, 2016 at 5:36 pm #

You are my people. I LOVE this.

9. Renee Anne October 29, 2016 at 9:47 pm #

The Christmas thing makes me want to slap people silly. It’s not even Hallowe’en yet! NO CHRISTMAS CRAP UNTIL AT LEAST MID-NOVEMBER! With that said, we still have two pumpkins to carve, seeds to roast, pumpkin pie to make (canned, because that’s how I roll), and Hallowe’en gingerbread zombie cookies to make. ::sigh::

10. The Laughing Duck November 9, 2016 at 2:09 pm #

Ha, I’m such a Christmas elf, I am exactly the harboring evil that puts up decoration and lights as soon as fall comes. It’s okay, I once left a christmas tree for the whole damn YEAR. No judgement on January 15th. Please, join me.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I’ve changed my mind | Herding Cats - November 9, 2016

[…] you know how I was all “Oh, I don’t like Christmas decor put out too soon, it’s […]