Apparently, Maura wasn’t geeky enough

30 Apr

Those who have been following the blog know that Maura is a Doctor Who fan. And by Doctor Who fan, I mean, she has her favorite episodes (“Silence in the Library” has been played on repeat for days at a time), a favorite companion (Donna, because we raised her right), and understands the whole regeneration thing better than many adults (she has equal love for both Ten and Eleven).

558311_10150616621327513_514311656_n

Maura and her TARDIS – 2012

On weekends, Maura and Josh both wake up earlier than most. For a while, Josh was going through all of “Star Trek” – to the point, where Maura would start asking for “Captain”. Here, she’s more discriminating – she prefers Picard.

Again, because we’re raising her right.

But there’s a new level of geekery happening – Josh has discovered Mystery Science Theater. And in an attempt to not watch “Shrek the Musical” yet again, he took control of the tv yesterday morning from Maura, and turned on MST3K.

And Maura loves it.

She’s on her third movie this morning.

At least I know where she’s at, right?

But this is a new level of geek cred she’s gotten. Really, forget Girl Scouts, she could join Geek Scouts and earn badges for geeky shows and favorite episodes. She could earn the Tribble Patch or the Companion Patch….then put it on her super awesome vest or backpack….

How do we make this a thing?

6 Responses to “Apparently, Maura wasn’t geeky enough”

1. TheKrakenSays April 30, 2017 at 2:42 pm #

I love to hear about kids who are doing their own thing and owning their likes and dislikes. I have one like that, too. I always wonder if he really does not care what other people like about his eclectic choices, and nope, he really does not. So cool that you have a strong, free spirit, too. They will make the world a better place someday!

2. Marcella M Cook April 30, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

There is nothing wrong with this! She’s a perfectly perfect Geek! And, from what I’ve seen here, you’ve done a wonderful job raising her, and your other kiddos…I don’t think I could even come close! (SMILE)

3. Renee Anne April 30, 2017 at 3:59 pm #

Awesome. I love that she loves Silence in the Library (Little Man is….not scared of it but he prefers not to watch it)…and Donna….I love Donna. She was probably my favorite.

4. Christine May 1, 2017 at 6:13 am #

How DO we make Geek Scouts a thing?

5. Chris L. Owens May 1, 2017 at 1:34 pm #

Love MST3K, she’ll probably pick up a few catch phrases.

6. courtneyisms May 5, 2017 at 9:21 pm #

My kids and I started watching Doctor Who several years ago and became obsessed. From there came many humorous conversations and various other creative diversions including Korean dramas. By the way, the Tenth Doctor was my favorite although I was greatly disappointed to see the Ninth leave.
    The Girl in the Fireplace makes me tear up.